Thursday, October 20, 2011

Neon

     I read the book Runaway by Wendelin Van Draanen a while back (really good by the way), and it was filled with poems. There was one poem that stuck in my mind, so I've decided to share it with you all.

Neon Is My Nightlight
by Wendelin Van Draanen, A.K.A. Holly Jenkins


Can the North Star lead the way
when eyes no longer see it?
Do constellations shine above?
My heart can't quite believe it

If the aurora borealis
lights up the Northern skies,
it's lost on me, on city streets,
neon is my nightlight

Oozing up through sidewalk cracks
come people of the night,
In black and red, the walking dead
with ghostly skin and eyes

Are they after peace or poison?
Will their souls ignite?
Freaks abound, tightly wound
neon is my nightlight

Blues and pinks and yellows glow,
cutting through the sky,
Flicker, flutter, flash, and flare,
they eat the night alive

No one's here to tuck me in,
to ease my fears away
I dread the dark, cold and stark,
but neon is my nightlight

Since, the poem is about neon, why not dedicate a whole post to it?








My favorite is the one with the hand, I like the pop of color.



No comments:

Post a Comment